Wednesday, April 2, 2008

MONTH #4 continued again

Recap
Month #4 was much more tame than month #3 as we wrapped up all of our party hosting with our Friends Game Night.
We started with what coule be our next "step" - a new home! And had a money-high, then a financial low. But we're still on a good track. I'm looking forward to the improvements we will have made by summer.

Marriage Epiphany
The life plan.
Everyone ends up on one somehow. It may be planned way ahead or day-by-day. Some people stay on the path they chose from high school on, and life allows it. Some people in their 30s wake up and wonder "how the hell did I get here?" - and others spend their life carefully planning every step in their life and waiting until all the stars align to make that step.
Which is the right way? Which is the best way?
Like so many things in life, my guess is somewhere in the middle!
The next stop in our life is a bigger home and children. Now, it would be smart to pay off our thousands of dollars in debt, save up thousands of dollars for a big down-payment...but in my calculations that would probably take us 3-5yrs at least! Putting us at age 32-33 and being in our little 2bdrm condo for up to 7yrs and no children! So does that mean we shouldn't take this step until then?
Take a step back adn we shouldn't have gotten married then until we could have paid cash upfront for it. If we did that, our wedding would have been a ceremony followed by a pot-luck and catered Subway in the church basement with my iPod as the DJ!
One step further back and we shouldn't have bought the condo until we had 20% down. But if we lived our life as option 3, we wouldn't be engaged for another 2years, we wouldn't have the condo for another 5yrs, we wouldn't have children for 5yrs after that! Doing the math, that's us at age 40! And chances are, it would be too late for us!
We didn't have an extravagant wedding by any means, but we did more than we could afford cash-upfront, hence our CC debt! If we woulda just had the potluck mentioned above, I/we would have regretted that for the rest of our lives -not having "our" wedding, much more than we regret the debt we are in now (it's a bummer, but no regret!).
My point is - we are born before we are ready to be out of the womb, we walk befroe we know how to break our fall, we talk before we have anything important to say. I fell in love before I knew love could fail, I had sex before I was mature enough to handle the consequences and I drank before I had control of myself.
So I'm saying that sometimes life happens and you get everything you hoped, prayed and dreamed for right when you want it! sometimes life just happens and it takes you along for the ride. And sometimes you have to make life happen. Take the step when you know down that path, you'll be able to make that path stronger and cleaner as you go. If you want something bad enough, you make it happen and that just ushers in all that life that is just waiting to happen down the road.
And it's just waiting for you to get through that intersection...

5 comments:

MyMuse said...

Amen, sister! No, seriously, it's true. You can't be too scheduled about life or nothing will ever happen. Women are considered medically at a disadvantage to have kids at age 35 and pregnancy is scary enough without that issue, so i knew i wanted to have kids early! Josh and know we are not able to buy a house anywhere in the near future but we have 2 beautiful children and a nice place to live and we know we'll get their eventually! Speaking of children, where's that new niece or nephew of yours!!??
This is such an inspriring post, i think i will print it out and keep it!

Miss Organizized said...

"My point is - we are born before we are ready to be out of the womb, we walk before we know how to break our fall, we talk before we have anything important to say."

Inspiring INDEED!! I honestly couldn't have said this better myself! And while my Life Plan is now a huge question mark instead of relatively planned out in my head...I can live with it. At this very moment, my life will be absolutely full of surprises!

Monica O'Neill said...

Lorie gets induced Saturday at 6am! Her official due date was Sunday.
I'm glad you like my post - and yea, I know you & Josh are similar to Tim & I. Like as long as you KNOW you want it and can handle the difficulties that come along with not being "all set to go" (financially, etc) then what the heck! Can't live your life too scared too scared to live it!!

Monica O'Neill said...

Katie - that whole "we are born before we are ready to be out of the womb" is from my Birth book (by Tina Cassidy) http://tinacassidy.info/

there's a part where she talks about how animals are so much further developed at birth than humans - like they can walk, and they are independent much sooner (even factoring in average life span comparisons)..but fetuses can't get any more developed b/c they can't get any bigger in there!
You should totally read this book! I'm done with it - you could borrow this weekend!

Miss Organizized said...

WEIRD! I read this AFTER we just emailed about me borrowing it. SWEET!!